Rooz has been a part of the Gradle customer support team helping large Android apps with their shipping-software-at-scale challenges. Rooz is also the one of the co-organizers of the San Francisco Android GDG, Gradle Summit, and the host of DevProdEng (DPE) Showdown.
Improving Developer Experience with Gradle Build Scans
11:15 > 40 min
As a developer, you just want your builds to work but every now and then things go wrong and you need to investigate the build which sucks up a lot of your time not to mention context switching. In this talk we show you how build scans can help save a lot of time when you need to find build performance bottlenecks, investigate/troubleshoot CI failures, build/tool chain failures, visualize your dependencies, etc. to troubleshooting/investigating build issues and accelerate your builds/tests.
From this session you will learn…
- Can I make my build faster? Build performance profiling with a simple UI: what are all the performance bottlenecks in my build, how well is my build cache working, the impact of heap, garbage, dependency downloads on my build times.
- How well is my build parallelized? Can I get more parallelization to speed up my builds?
- What's happening in my build? View the build timeline view to see what tasks/goals are being executed in which order. You can use this to see how well parallelized is your build
- Git and CI integration for better workflow. Go from your CI job to your build scan and back. Go to the Git source repo, git commit id, show me all the builds on this git commit id
- Troubleshoot CI failures way faster with a build scan by viewing failed taks/goal in consol log. Build scans pull out all the details pertaining to your failure out of the consol log so you don’t have to parse through thousands of lines of logs
- Dependency Search: view, search through your projects dependencies and their versions in a few clicks
- Triage Test failures: The test dashboard sorts your projects test failures by failure count with a nice UI. With a few clicks you can see which test classes failed the most, sort by your longest tests, test methods with the most test failures, link to your test report
- Tool chain and build related failures: What’s breaking my build?